Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Third times a charm...

I did make it three days in a row for exercise and was able to apply science to my quest as I had my heart rate monitor attached to make sure I was operating at the optimum fat burning range. Thirty minutes of sheer bliss as I peddled to the sounds of Al Petteway and Amy White’s Acoustic Journey. I just hope this doesn’t turn out like Clockwork Orange!

Anyway, as I struggle to get into the habit of daily exercise/cardio, I look at my dad. He’s 83 and does his weights and stretching every morning before going to the gym to ride the bike. He’s always been active and kept himself in good shape so when he decided to have hip replacement surgery last December; I thought he would have a smooth and speedy recovery. It’s been everything but smooth and speedy. The actual hip replacement went well but he was plagued with circulation problems, then internal bleeding, then infections...he’s now at the stage I expected him to be last March. The reality is that if he hadn’t been in such good shape, he wouldn’t have made it though. No one lives forever on this earth but if you take care of yourself you may say a little longer and enjoy yourself a little more.

I did weigh today but after I road for 30 minutes. The scales said I weighed 277 - a little down but in the same ball park. In anticipation of meeting my first milestone, I bought a pair of jeans at Wally World; 38 Regulars. Got to think positive.

Steve

2 comments:

gina said...

at least you are headed in the right direction....me on the other hand, i've yet to start....

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

Cool picture. 3 lbs in 3 days? Don't we wish we could keep that up for 60 days!!

Give Gina some of your motivation!