Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Day One...sort of...

A New Year approaches and I've decided to blog. Not because there's not enough stuff on the internet – but just because…

My wonderful wife has a nice blog for some of her photography work (usually from our vacation trips). I may take a few pictures but I’m not a photographer…so that won’t be my blog. Gina’s work is really good.

I have more interest in music – I play guitar and bass and tinker a little on mandolin. A few years back I played in a Contemporary Christian band with some friends. We played together for a couple of years as the band for a couple contemporary services in the area and of course did the obligatory CD…copies are still available at CDBaby. Nowadays I play bass at church and have been working on flat-picking but I generally just play around.

And while I will blog more on music later, right now I’m more focused in a different direction. This holiday season I hit the big 40 – not age, waist size. Back when I turned 40, I was running in 5k runs, swimming, doing aerobics and weights…that was almost 12 years ago but I fell off the exercise wagon about 8 years ago. And as expected, I’ve gained about 10 pounds a year and find myself now at 280 pounds. 280 is a good number for an interstate loop – not for my weight. As I struggled to get a new pair of 38s to snap I realized that I had reached the idea “before” figure. I tossed ‘em back and bought one pair of 40s to last me until I’m back into the 38s.

If I were Muhammad Ali, I might say something like, “Come 2010, I’ll be thin!” But I don’t think thin is my real goal. I just want to feel better and be able to do more. I was very comfortable at 210 – 220 so I’m targeting that range.

Like the title says, this is day one…sort of…I began yesterday (Monday 12/28) and have now completed two days of exercise. Nothing overly strenuous – just about 20 minutes of cardio on a bike trainer and then some hand weights. But it’s my start. I dug out my old heart rate monitor from my Spinning Classes, changed the battery and will now start targeting my work out to maximize fat burning…

Once I get a routine going, I’ll work on a better diet…right now I’m just trying to work on portion control and stay away from sugar…

So I'm 280 starting out with a goal of 210...stay tuned.

Steve

3 comments:

gina said...

i'll stay tuned...good start, with diet and blog. :) did you take the photo above? i really like it...great choice.

Steve said...

Yea, It's a Steve original...shot from behind the waterfall...from last years trip to DeSoto Falls State Park..

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

Where's my song??

I mean, Welcome to Bloggyland! Gina does take some mighty fine pictures....I haven't visited her in a while. I keep forgetting to follow her on my new blog, so I don't even know if she's updated. Gonna remedy that right now.

You can do it...lose the weight, I mean. And guys can do it fast, too. Dawg.
~Margaret